Monday, March 28, 2011

3 - 28 - 11

Celebrating with the Birthday Girl
Buenas Noches Amigos!  Tonight I am writing from Starbucks while enjoy a chai tea - and yes it tastes the same as in the U.S.  It is really nice to walk into some of the chain restaurants here simply because it looks just the same as in the States.  They have McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Starbucks, and I'm sure others I haven't run into yet.  I never was much of a fast food fan, but I must say I've been eating more of it lately and I think it is because I like the familiarity more than the food.  I guess I need to hurry up and join a gym if I keep this up!

Not a whole lot has changed since my last update, work is still going well.  The biggest update is that I moved.  The move was super easy being as I only own about 2 suitcases worth of items.  I did have to make a big trip to Plaza Vea (like walmart) here and buy a lot of household items which is nice.  The new place is great; I walked to work this morning with a huge smile on my face!  It is located right next to a beautiful park and very close to a fancy shopping district.  This could be bad news..... walking next to these high end shops I already feel my credit card burning a hole in my pocket. 

My co-workers
This weekend I got to head out to a birthday party on Friday night.  One of the girls I work with was celebrating her 25th birthday and hosted a big party at her house.  All of my coworkers were there along with a lot of other people.  Julio came with me, and we had a really good time!  One thing I can say about people in Peru is they really know how to host a party.  They serve food all night long, always make sure your glass is full, play great music, and everyone is very friendly.  After the party, Julio and I went out and met up with one of his friends.  This made for a rather comical evening.  Julio's friend had a rather good time telling me all of Julio's secrets and what he maybe says about me when I am not around.  I think Julio was a little embarrassed, but all in all it was pretty funny - and good insight for me!  As I sometimes accuse Julio of never wanting me to meet his friends from school.  I guess now I know why.

Saturday was very relaxed and Sunday was just a busy day of moving.  I think I was a little too stressed, which made Julio stressed, which made for not the best moving day in the world.  But, it was a good thing I don't have much stuff.  Now I am all settled in for now; although I already have a list of new things I need to buy for the house!

It is hard for me to relate to many of the Peruvian "young adults" here, because their lifestyle is much different.  It is very common for people to live under their parents roof until they are in their late 20s or married.  Kids generally don't have a lot of responsibilities as the mother cares very diligently for her family.  She cooks all the meals, wakes her kids up for school/work, cleans up after them, and most households hire a maid because it is so cheap to have one.  It is also very common for the family to pay for all of the kids education.  I hate to spoiled, because that really isn't the right word.  Life is not as easy here as in the States, that is for sure.  However, I guess young adults don't have the same responsibilities here as we do in the U.S.  I feel like as soon as I was out of the house I had to take care of everything on my own.  I had school, work, bills, had to clean and cook for myself, came home to a dorm or empty house, etc.... I may have been a little too independent and tried to hard to do everything on my own, but still, in generally I'm not sure that young adults here can really understand the independence that we crave in the U.S.  Even Julio, although I think he craves to have the independence, can not always relate to what I am talking about.  It isn't fair for me to compare young adults here to young adults in the States though, because here, without a degree, you don't really have the opportunity to make enough money to live on your own.  There are a lot of little things I notice about Julio and some of my friends here that tell me they would not know what to do if they had to live on their own.  It just isn't part of the culture here.

Anyway, my chai tea is about gone so I think I may retire for the evening.  This Starbucks was recently robbed by gunpoint and all the laptops were stolen from the patrons.  It is funny how that makes me feel extra safe.  There are now two cops standing outside the door with guns.  I wouldn't say this city is dangerous by any means, I actually feel very safe here.  However, like in any big city robberies do happen.  However, it is pretty rare a robber would came back to the same place again a week later - so I think I am safe! 

I leave for Cuzco on Friday - and get to be a tourist - finally!! Words can't describe my excitement, but I will share the whole experience when I return next week.  Hopefully I will have some pretty sweet pictures as well.  Take Care Everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment